2010 NFL Predictions: Revisited

Predictions are pointless. Injuries, players coming out of nowhere, and schedules play such a huge role, you never know. But I thought I'd revisit my predictions.

I had the Packers over the Ravens in the Super Bowl, with the Steelers and the 49ers (ugh) rounding out my final four. I'll still roll with three of the four. Here's the rest.

AFC East (Predictions)

1. New York Jets, 11-5
2. New England Patriots, 9-7
3. Miami Dolphins, 9-7
4. Buffalo Bills, 2-14

AFC East (Actual)

1. New England Patriots, 14-2
2. New York Jets, 11-5
3. Miami Dolphins, 7-9
4. Buffalo Bills

Pretty spot on with the Jets, Dolphins and Bills. Really understimated the Patriots though. I shouldn't have. I thought the defense would do New England in. The defense was middle of the pack, but Tom Brady is the clear MVP and Bill Belichick should be the clear coach of the year. They transformed that offense from one with Randy Moss and Wes Welker into one that utilized numerous tight ends and receivers out of the back field. It was one of the most amazing coaching jobs I have seen in quite a while.

AFC North (Predictions)

1. Baltimore Ravens, 12-4
2. Pittsburgh Steelers, 10-6
3. Cincinnati Bengals, 9-7
4. Cleveland Browns, 3-13


AFC North (Actual)

1. Pittsburgh Steelers, 12-4
2. Baltimore Ravens, 12-4
3. Cleveland Browns, 5-11
4. Cincinnati Bengals, 4-12

I got three of the four teams on point for the most part. I missed on the Bengals. However, I did say that I thought they could go 12-4 or 4-12, so I gave them 9-7 as somewhere in the middle. I thought the defense would not be near what they were last year, and I was right. But I thought the offense would be much more potent then they ended up being. Carson Palmer looks finished, but I think he will stick around a bit longer, since the Bengals are too cheap to make a move.

AFC South (Predictions)

1. Indianapolis Colts, 12-4
2. Tennessee Titans, 10-6
3. Houston Texans, 7-9
4. Jacksonville Jaguars, 6-10

AFC South (Actual)

1. Indianapolis Colts, 10-6
2. Jacksonville Jaguars, 8-8
3. Houston Texans, 6-10
4. Tennessee Titans, 6-10

I got this division right for the most part. The Colts would have won 12 games again if their whole offense minus #18 (the real best QB in the league, how quick those "experts" at ESPN forget. Seriously, they go out of their way to call Tom Brady the best QB in the league every chance they get) didn't get injured. The Jaguars were out scored by almost 100 points this year. They are who I thought they were. I thought the Texans would be a little better, but they just had a brutal schedule. No way they were going to finish above .500. I whiffed on the Titans, as it seems they have finally given up on long time coach Jeff Fisher.

AFC West (Predictions)

1. San Diego Chargers, 11-5
2. Oakland Raiders, 8-8
3. Kansas City Chiefs, 6-10
4. Denver Broncos, 4-12

AFC West (Actual)

1. Kansas City Chiefs, 10-6
2. San Diego Chargers, 9-7
3. Oakland Raiders, 8-8
4. Denver Broncos, 4-12

Pretty on point with this division as well. I thought the Chargers would come out the gate slow like they always do, and they did. They just struggled much more then I thought and could never recover. I was wrong about the Chiefs, but their offense was much stronger and faster then I thought. The defense has come a long way too. I still think they are by far the weakest playoff team in the AFC. The Raiders and Broncos, I would like to brag, since I was spot on. I almost picked the Raiders to win the division, but stopped short because I hated the QB play. And that is exactly what happened. I also thought Josh McDaniels was a doofus who stripped his team of all experienced talent and they had no chance, and I was right there too.

NFC East (Predictions)

1. Dallas Cowboys, 13-3
2. Philadelphia Eagles, 9-7
3. Washington Redskins, 8-8
4. New York Giants, 7-9

NFC East (Actual)

1. Philadelphia Eagles, 10-6
2. New York Giants, 10-6
3. Dallas Cowboys, 6-10
4. Washington Redskins, 6-10

This is where my predictions start to get a little ugly. Shame on me for completely buying into the Cowboys hype, even though I knew Wade Phillips was in over his head. I won't even talk about that one. I thought the Giants would give up on Tom Coughlin, and they did at points this season. The Eagles and Redskins were pretty much on point. I still don't get what Mike Shanahan was thinking benching Donovan McNabb for...Rex Grossman? Cost his team one or two wins probably.

NFC North (Predictions)

1. Green Bay Packers 13-3
2. Minnesota Vikings, 11-5
3. Chicago Bears, 5-11
4. Detroit Lions, 4-12

NFC North (Actual)

1. Chicago Bears, 11-5
2. Green Bay Packers, 10-6
3. Detroit Lions, 6-10
4. Minnesota Vikings, 6-10

Another whiff, although there is no doubt in my mind that the Packers would have won 13 games if they didn't suffer through so many injuries. Completely wrong about the Vikings and Bears. I thought the Vikings would have a winning record, and it had nothing to do with Brett Favre. Where was that defense, especially that pass rush, all season? As for the Bears, they were barely winning at the beginning of the season and I thought it was a fluke. It was. But they kept getting better and better as the season went on. I still think they will lose their first playoff game. Congrats to the Lions for that 4 game winning streak to end the season. Sure, they would have been better off losing to get Patrick Peterson, but for a team that has suffered so much losing the last few (20+) years, having a winning streak like that to build on is much more important.

NFC South (Predictions)

1. New Orleans Saints, 12-4
2. Atlanta Falcons, 10-6
3. Carolina Panthers, 6-10
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 4-12

NFC South (Actual)

1. Atlanta Falcons, 13-3
2. New Orleans Saints, 11-5
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 10-6
4. Carolina Panthers, 2-14

I am shocked that the Bucs won 10 games. Sure, they had an easy schedule but they won 10 games. With a second year quarterback, two rookie receivers and an undrafted rookie running back. I figured the Falcons and Saints would battle for the division, and I knew the Panthers would continue to fall on their faces. I didn't imagine it would be to that extent, though. Where was DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart?

NFC West (Predictions)

1. San Francisco 49ers, 10-6
2. Arizona Cardinals, 7-9
3. Seattle Seahawks, 5-11
4. St. Louis Rams, 3-13

NFC West (Actual)

1. Seattle Seahawks, 7-9
2. St. Louis Rams, 7-9
3. San Francisco 49ers, 6-10
4. Arizona Cardinals, 5-11

Okay, so I'm gonna say this and no one is going to believe me. I wouldn't either, and there really isn't any point in saying it. But I originally had the Niners wining this division with a 7-9 record. I swear to you all! But I couldn't imagine anyone winning a division with a record under .500, even this pathetic division, so I gave San Fran a couple more wins. Nothing more to say about this division though. It is absolutely horrible.

Jonathan Carrano

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments: