2011 NFL Predictions: Let's Take a Sec to Look Back


Taking a look back at my predictions. I actually did a really good job for once. I thought the good teams with continuity would be the most successful, and that seemed to be the case. If I had a chance to do playoff predictions, my Final Four would be the same as it was during my predictions. The Patriots vs. Ravens in the AFC and the Packers vs. Saints in the NFC. In fact, why change anything? I will still roll with my preseason prediction of the Saints over the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

AFC East

Prediction

1. New England Patriots, 13-3
2. New York Jets, 9-7
3. Buffalo Bills, 7-9
4. Miami Dolphins, 6-10

Actual

1. New England Patriots, 13-3
2. New York Jets, 8-8
3. Miami Dolphins, 6-10
4. Buffalo Bills, 6-10

Only two games from perfectly nailing this division. I had a feeling the Jets would really struggle and ultimately miss the playoffs. People seem to think they squeaked into the playoffs the last two seasons. The Bills started out red hot but crashed in spectacular fashion, going 1-8 to finish the year. Miami did just the opposite, starting 0-7 before going 6-3 to close out the year. The Patriots won 13 games basically solely Tom Brady throwing to his two stud tight ends.

AFC North

Prediction

1. Pittsburgh Steelers, 12-4
2. Baltimore Ravens, 11-5
3. Cleveland Browns, 6-10
4. Cincinnati Bengals, 5-11

Actual

1. Baltimore Ravens, 12-4
2. Pittsburgh Steelers, 12-4
3. Cincinnati Bengals, 9-7
4. Cleveland Browns, 4-12

Other then the Bengals surprising season, I nailed this division as well. The Bengals were able to beat up on some really bad teams, inflating their record. They have the talent of a 5-11 team.

AFC South

Prediction

1. Indianapolis Colts, 11-5
2. Houston Texans, 10-6
3. Tennessee Titans, 6-10
4. Jacksonville Jaguars, 4-12

Actual

1. Houston Texans, 10-6
2. Tennessee Titans, 9-7
3. Jacksonville Jaguars, 5-11
4. Indianapolis Colts, 2-14

I made these predictions before Peyton Manning was ruled out for the year. Other then the Colts, I did pretty well, especially the Titans and Jaguars. I probably would have given the Colts 5 or 6 wins without Manning. I did not think a veteran team would completely roll over and die like they did.

AFC West

Prediction

1. San Diego Chargers, 11-5
2. Kansas City Chiefs, 7-9
3. Denver Broncos, 6-10
4. Oakland Raiders, 3-13

Actual

1. Denver Broncos, 8-8
2. San Diego Chargers, 8-8
3. Oakland Raiders, 8-8
4. Kansas City Chiefs, 7-9

What a disaster this division ended up being. Nearly every team went 8-8. I will never ride with Norv Turner and the Chargers again. Can you believe he is going to return as head coach in 2012? How is that possible? I did predict the Chiefs falling off, but was wrong about the Raiders. Pretty close with the Broncos, I did not think the defense would be nearly as good as they have become. And of course, the whole Tim Tebow ride.

NFC East

Prediction

1. Philadelphia Eagles, 12-4
2. New York Giants, 10-6
3. Dallas Cowboys, 9-7
4. Washington Redskins, 5-11

Actual

1. New York Giants, 9-7
2. Philadelphia Eagles, 8-8
3. Dallas Cowboys, 8-8
4. Washington Redskins, 5-11

I drank the Eagles Dream Team Kool Aid, though to be fair I did not pick them to make the NFC Championship. Other then that, I got this division pretty much right on. The Giants are better then a 9-7 team as they showed against the Falcons yesterday. They just had a murderous schedule.

NFC North

Prediction

1. Green Bay Packers, 12-4
2. Chicago Bears, 8-8
3. Minnesota Vikings, 7-9
4. Detroit Lions, 6-10

Actual

1. Green Bay Packers, 15-1
2. Detroit Lions, 10-6
3. Chicago Bears, 8-8
4. Minnesota Vikings, 3-13

The Lions were my big whiff in the NFC. I said I thought they had talent but needed another year to mature. Well, they still do need another year to mature, and a 10-6 record might be disappointing after a 5-0 start, but this team had a very good season. If they can get a running game and play with some discipline, they could be here to stay. The Bears probably would have made the playoffs if Jay Cutler didn't get hurt. I didn't think the Vikings would be this bad but Leslie Frazier is just an awful coach.

NFC South

Prediction

1. New Orleans Saints, 13-3
2. Atlanta Falcons, 11-5
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 6-10
4. Carolina Panthers, 5-11

Actual

1. New Orleans Saints, 13-3
2. Atlanta Falcons, 10-6
3. Carolina Panthers, 6-10
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 4-12

Another division I pretty much mastered. I predicted the Bucs to really fall off. I just didn't buy into the hype, coaching or talent level. I did not think they would fall this far though. That team is a mess. The Saints were my pick to win the Super Bowl and I am sticking with that prediction now. Drew Brees pretty much has the quarterback position mastered.

NFC West

Prediction

1. Arizona Cardinals, 8-8
2. St. Louis Rams, 7-9
3. San Francisco 49ers, 6-10
4. Seattle Seahawks, 5-11

Actual

1. San Francisco 49ers, 13-3
2. Arizona Cardinals, 8-8
3. Seattle Seahawks, 7-9
4. St. Louis Rams, 2-14

This division was pretty much a crap shoot, and I was pretty off. To be fair, no one expected the 49ers to win 13 games. I did pick them to make the NFC Championship game last year, so I knew there was talent here. What a job Jim Harbaugh did with that team. The rest of the division wasn't bad either. The Cardinals amazingly won 8 games with John Skelton and Kevin Kolb throwing bricks all over the place. And Marshawn Lynch was Beast Mode for most of the season, and the Seahawks almost won 8 games as well. The Rams were everyone's darling before the season started. I predicted them to start 1-7 but really pick it up the second half of the year. I got half of that right. The team never recovered.

Jonathan Carrano

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments: